The lyrics tell you as much as the music does. From the way the beat hesitates before it drops the the way overall lulls and crests until it’s all on-your-feet self-empowerment.
No matter what you see, the story to accompany Radioactive always has the same basic bones:
- An underdog is unsure
- Then conditions align and it’s time to step forward or stay down
- The underdog finds their voice…
- Then they find that bass in their voice.
- In time that voice carries across the masses until it’s a battle cry
- Finally, that battle cry becomes the victory chant of the once down-trodden masses
The quiet rise from unknown to greatness from unsure to leader in Radioactive is well-trodden but beloved. The song was used for The Host, Assassin’s Creed III, and a slew of other soundtracks.
So what was Imagine Dragons picturing when they wrote and heard Radioactive? Check out the video and be surprised by their version of a standard trope.