[wpspoiler name=”First Impressions vs. Reviews” ]First Impressions are based on demos while Reviews are based on entire games.[/wpspoiler]
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon is a video game based on Ugly Americans, which is a sitcom on Comedy Central based on a New York City where all manner of monster lives in harmony– harmony being the same crazy, terrible, apathetic way the city is at present. In the show, Mark Lilly is a nobody in a dead end job with a zombie named Randall for a roommate.
What’s more fun than watching Ugly Americans or playing games with your friends? Playing Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon with your friends!
Discover the awesomely hilarious world of Ugly Americans and stop the evil plot to bring the end of days! Play online or locally for up to 4 player co-op dual stick shooting action. Play as Leonard (the drunken wizard,) Grimes (the tough cop,) Callie (the hot demon chick,) or Mark (the lucky human) and use their special abilities and the BSU-2000 to annihilate everything in sight. Our friends at the DOI have uncovered a plot to bring about the End of Days and only you can stop it. Level up your heroes, equip them with 30 different weapons, and collect demon babies to boost your abilities as you take on hordes of demons, zombies, man birds and giant (yes giant) boss battles!
Well, that was the thought when the game Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon was created. I checked out the demo so see if the game was was much fun as the show.
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon Pros:
1. It is very silly, like the show.
2. All your favorite characters– except Randal.
3. Pretty easy to pick up and play. One stick moves, one stick fires continually, there are a few other controls but that’s really the long and short of it.
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon Cons:
1. Shitty, half-assed animation… There’s this weird thing they do where they only kind of animate the characters so they move once for like every ten words they say. It’s like puppet theater except the voices and the bodies aren’t speaking to each other.
2. It feels oddly slow for a basic side-scrolling arcade shooter.
3. Repetitive action and speech. The enemies and the characters say the same few phrases over and over: “Sweet, pill money!” “That’s gonna scar.”
Overall I think Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon:
Isn’t worth 800 MS points. Maybe 500 because I’m a sucker for games I can play with my friends and I was having fun, but not more fun than a fancy sandwich and a Nantucket Nectar in the city.
In the United States, 80 points are equal to US$1. As a result, an 800 point arcade game would retail for US$10 in real-world currency. (source)
So, I’m not going to buy the full game unless it’s magically on sale for something between free and 500 MS Points.